United Kingdom

Friday morning UK news briefing: Today’s top headlines from The Telegraph


Welcome to your early morning news briefing from The Telegraph – a round-up of the top stories we are covering today. To receive twice-daily briefings by email, sign up to our Front Page newsletter for free.

1. Boris Johnson’s long goodbye leaves UK in ‘state of paralysis’

The Government will be left paralysed for months if Boris Johnson stays in Downing Street until his successor is chosen, senior Tories have warned.

The Prime Minister, who finally succumbed to a ministerial revolt and announced his resignation on Thursday, told his new Cabinet he would not implement any new policies until he is replaced. Read the full story.

2. Former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe shot during campaign speech

Former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is showing no vital signs after apparently being shot at a campaign event in the Nara region on Friday, local media reported.

The former leader had been delivering a stump speech at an event ahead of Sunday’s upper house elections when the apparent sound of gunshots were heard. Read the full story.

3. UK weather: Longest heatwave in four years is on its way

Heatwave health alerts have been issued as the Met Office predicted the longest hot spell in four years could begin on Sunday.

A period of hot weather starting this weekend could last for more than a week, making it the longest since a 15-day heatwave in 2018, forecasters said. Read the full story.

4. Russia fails to take territory for first time since war with Ukraine began

Russia did not take any land in Ukraine this week for the first time in the war, as it appeared to halt large-scale offensive operations in Donbas ahead of a renewed push.

A Russian missile strike on Kramatorsk killed at least one civilian and injured six others, despite the slowdown in frontline fighting. Read the full story.

5. Rafael Nadal pulls out of Wimbledon semi-final against Nick Kyrgios due to injury

This ill-fated Wimbledon received its most painful blow yet when Rafael Nadal withdrew from Friday’s scheduled semi-final against Nick Kyrgios, leaving fans who have paid a minimum of £200 per ticket with only one singles match to watch.

Arriving back on the All England Club grounds at around 7pm on Thursday night, Nadal told reporters that he had been forced to stand down after failing to recover from the abdominal tear he suffered in his quarter-final victory over Taylor Fritz. Read the full story.

If you want to receive twice-daily briefings like this by email, sign up to the Front Page newsletter here. For two-minute audio updates, try The Briefing – on podcasts, smart speakers and WhatsApp.


Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button