Iran is to resume nuclear negotiations with world powers on October 21 that were suspended in June
Iran is to resume nuclear negotiations with world powers on October 21 that were suspended in June, an Iranian lawmaker said on Sunday after a meeting with Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian.
The Minister said that “talks with the 4+1 Group will restart on Thursday in Brussels”, Ahmad Alirezabeigui told the conservative news agency Fars after a closed-door session with Mr. Amir-Abdollahian.
The lawmaker was referring to four UN Security Council permanent members — Britain, China, France and Russia — along with Germany.
Iran and these five nations opened talks in Vienna in April with the European Union (EU) also attending while the U.S. has taken part in indirect negotiations.
The U.S., China, Russia, Germany, France and Britain struck an accord in Vienna with Iran on its nuclear programme in 2015.
But then-U.S. president Donald Trump pulled America out of the deal in 2018 and reimposed biting sanctions.
Since then, Tehran — which insists its nuclear program is for civilian purposes only — has also retreated from many of its commitments under the accord.
Mr. Trump’s successor Joe Biden has said he is ready to return to the agreement if the Islamic republic re-adheres to its nuclear commitments.
The Vienna talks aimed at reviving the deal were suspended in June, when Iran elected Ebrahim Raisi as President.